Tomato, Grilled Eggplant and Salted Egg Salad a delicious medley of fresh, smoky, and savory flavors! This Filipino side dish is a delicious accompaniment to grilled meat or seafood.
Table Of Contents
- How to Roast Eggplant
- Prep tips
- Serving suggestions
- Homemade Salted Eggs
- More eggplant recipes
Guys, I’m sorry I’ve been MIA the last few weeks. I’ve been busy behind the scenes as we’re in the midst of a big site update, and I’m hoping to do a grand reveal any time this month.
In the meantime, here’s a delicious blast from the past. A Filipino-style salad made of juicy grape tomatoes, smoky grilled eggplant, and salted duck eggs I first posted in 2014!
How to Roast Eggplant
I like to grill my eggplants on the stovetop, but you can also roast in the oven, in a pan, or on the grill.
- On the Stovetop– Using a knife or the tines of a fork, prick the eggplant a few times to prevent it from bursting during cooking. Place directly over the flames on the gas stove and cook, regularly rotating with tongs, for about 5 to 6 minutes or until evenly charred.
- In the Oven– Arrange eggplants in a single layer on a baking sheet. Using a knife or the tines of a fork, prick the eggplant a few times and then brush with canola or olive oil. Roast in 400 F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or tender.
- On a Pan– Using a knife or the tines of a fork, prick the eggplant a few times and then brush with canola or olive oil. In a heavy-bottomed wide pan over medium-high heat, place eggplants in a single layer. Roast, turning on sides as needed, for about 5 to 6 minutes or until tender and evenly charred.
As the salted eggs are strongly flavored, the salad doesn’t need more than a dash of salt or a dab of bagoong (shrimp paste) to be extra delicious. My favorite way to dress this ensaladang talong, however, is a mixture of vinegar and fish sauce for the perfect combination of tangy and umami tastes.
- I like to use grape or cherry tomatoes for their sweet, juicy flavor, but Roma tomatoes work well, too.
- If prepping ahead of time, deseed the tomatoes to keep the salad from getting watery.
Grilled eggplant and salted egg salad is a delicious side dish you can serve with your favorite roasted or fried meat or fish and steamed rice. Great for all meals!